Join Deb Sletmoen as she reviews Payroll Year End Closing for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
Phoenix, Arizona. What makes it special? The weather, the people, the “x” in its name?
The answer is: all three! Of course, there’s another reason Phoenix is special to our team at Implementation Specialists. Phoenix was the host city for Microsoft’s annual Summit conference this past week. I’d like to share with you some of our team’s thoughts and impressions of our experiences at the conference.
- Passion for the Product is Present. The GP community is loud and proud. The sessions we attended were filled to the brim with people passionate for GP. Our booth was constantly buzzing with GP customers, all sharing their excitement about such a robust community of professionals genuinely sharing best practices with newcomers and experienced users alike.
- Family Feel. There were multiple occasions in which a partner, customer, or vendor would greet a counterpart, or even competitor, with a hearty handshake and hug. Oftentimes, there were conversations with the easy comradery of longtime friends. That’s because they usually are! Since GP is a mature product, and many of the companies partnered with GP have a long and established history, there is a distinct feeling of stability that you only get with a strong family that legitimately want to assist and care for each other.
- Energized Attendees: It wasn’t just the coffee that gave the attendees a buzz – there was a genuine sense of determination and focus within the conference on new features within GP and the opportunity to expand their networks. Our conversations were pointed, and there was little fluff – everyone we spoke with had a problem that needed solving. Whether it was centered on re-opening AP and AR for year close, reporting from a specific module, or how to correct a posting mistake, our guests wasted little time in cutting to the crux of the issue.
- Phoenix Rising: Phoenix was an excellent choice for the conference. Our hotel was a short walk from the convention center, so we got to take in a bit of the local architecture. The Herberger Theatre Center was on our route, so we were treated to beautiful modern sculptures of youths and adults in various states of play. The St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Basilica was across the street from the convention center, and gave us a snapshot into Phoenix’s Franciscan history. The Phoenix Convention Center was enormous and easy to navigate, with a modern glass and steel design that more than suited our needs for space and comfort.
- New Products Push Boundaries: One of the most consistent messages I absorbed from the conference was Microsoft’s commitment to not only their existing products, but a push into new horizons. Intelligent Edge would augment GP’s core functionality with Business Central’s cloud accessibility, analytics capability, and AI automation. Intelligent Edge could potentially enhance GP by providing real-time insights into your customer’s buying schedules, industry trends, your internal KPI’s, and much more.
Phoenix and the Summit Conference were both experiences that further confirmed the GP community is one of a kind. People who genuinely want to help others and an excellent air of hospitality around the city was palpable. I can’t wait to attend Summit 2019 in Orlando.
Business Development Manager
We all know someone who is very particular about their chili.
Beans or no beans? What’s your preferred spice mix? Chives or onions on top? The shredded cheese choices alone are enough to make your head spin.
You face a similar scenario when you’re in the market for ERP software. The sheer amount of options can be daunting. Just like chili, you start with the solid base, and augment your choice to make a tailored solution fit for your business.
Do you want a proven solution with decades of experience? Industry expertise? Both on-premise and cloud capability? A strong partner ecosystem to increase functionality and maximize your ROI?
Dynamics GP includes all of these and more, making it an excellent choice for the small-to-medium businesses to streamline their business process and garner more productive workdays.
So what’s your recipe for success?
Business Development Manager
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 released on October 1st, and we can’t wait to tell you what’s new! With over 47,000 companies using Dynamics GP, Microsoft has added features recommended by customers to help improve and streamline processes, with added conveniences.
Here are a few new features in the release:
Top Feature requests by GP Users
- Navigation Lists
- Hide Business Analyzer in Navigation Lists for all users
- SmartList Designer Favorites display in Navigation Lists
- Mass Update Inactive action within Navigation Lists – Inactivate, Reactivate, Temporary
- Dynamics GP Passwords
- Increase Dynamics GP Password Maximum length
- Dynamics GP Password Expiration Notification
- Print Invoice in Functional currency from SOP Navigation List
- Sales Workflow including credit limit
- New SmartList for Deposits on Unposted Sales Transactions
- Print and Email SOP document at the same time
- Additional Sort options in Sales Order Processing item inquiry
- Email Customer Statements from Customer Maintenance
- Customer / Combiner retain ship to address
- Allow partial purchase in the PO that was initially made form a Purchase requisition
- Add vendor document number to the Purchasing All-In-One view
- Display vendor hold status
- Don’t display inactive checkbooks in Lookups
- Email Purchase Order other form from PO Entry
- Make the checkbook ID default when creating a check batch
- Exclude items from HITB with zero quantities or value
- Transaction Level posting through to General Ledger
- Monthly and Bimonthly recurring batches
- Not allow duplicate check numbers
- Payroll check register added FICA totals
- Payroll Shared Maximum for Benefits and Deductions
- Payroll Pay code Start and End Dates
- Web client Letter Writing Assistant option
- Intelligent Edge
If you’re curious about upgrading your Dynamics GP system, contact us to learn more.
Happy National Programmer’s Day! Today, the 256th day of the year is Day of the Programmer. 256 was chosen because it’s the number of distinct values that an eight-bit byte can represent. Clever, don’t you think?
This day was chosen to honor those who have blazed the trail of programming. Charles Babbage, Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, Bill Gates, and countless other unsung and unheralded computer scientists have contributed to the ever-evolving skill of programming.
Our knowledge and skills at Implementation Specialists reflect this ongoing evolution of technological advancement. Originally, IS started with modifying and enhancing Dynamics GP modules in Dexterity, and have since expanded into developing solutions for KEY2ACT, Dynamics Navision, and much more. With our knowledge of Dynamics GP, we have also built our own suite of products, called wsTOOLS, for both GP and KEY2ACT to optimize their native capabilities. With over 20 years of experience, our talented team of developers can create solutions to complement your business specifically.
The next programming breakthrough for your business is on the horizon. Implementation Specialists can help you get there.
We are very excited that GPUC 2018 is back! Our premiere GP event of the year will take place November 14-16 at the Microsoft Campus in Fargo, ND. If you haven’t had a chance to register for GPUC 2018, here are 6 reasons why you should attend:
1. Knowledge is Power! No matter how experienced you are with GP, there’s always room to learn more. With over 60 sessions we will cover an array of topics that are designed for your growth. Come with questions and leave with answers.
2. Get Inspired – Connect face-to-face with some of the brightest minds working within GP to share ideas, collaborate and learn. You might even make a new friend.
3. It’s fun – Attending GPUC provides an impactful experience you can’t achieve by watching a video or reading an article. As always, the most interesting conversations happen during lunch or at the very end of each day at happy hour.
4. Earn CPE credits – Earn CPE credits during the 3-day conference.
5. Learn like a Pro – Sometimes you need a break from your job to sharpen your skills. You’ll return to work with new techniques or something you’ve relearned that make you more efficient in GP.
6. Stop Partner Time! Our partner channel is chock-full of excellent companies that feature additional capabilities that compliment GP, such as electronic document capture and management, payroll, tax e-filing, credit card processing, reporting, supply chain, field service, hosting, and more.
View more GPUC information, current promotions and registration click here. We can’t wait to see you in November at GPUC 2018!